9.21.2015

Thank you Chuck Norton!

This post is dedicated to my buddy, Chuck.  I must show you this clip that Tim & I think about every time we hear your name.

Thank you, Chuck Norris!

Along with finding out that one person reads my blog, I made a humbling realization about myself yesterday. My heart skipped a beat when I heard this quote:


My stomach sank.  My heart began to flutter.  I'm sure my cheeks got rosy.  Embarrassment sunk in and I knew I was guilty.  Nobody was trying to embarrass me, but the humbling realization that I have been prideful was more than my body could take.  Because I have no filter, I immediately raised my hand and admitted my guilt to a room full of friends and neighbors.

My husband had tried to lovingly point out to me that I was being prideful, but my pride wouldn't let me believe him.  After hearing this quote, I knew the truth.  The only reason I feel like I need MORE is because everybody else has MORE.  The only reason I'm finally satisfied with all I have is when I realize how much MORE I have then others.  This is so wrong!  I wrote about this topic just 8- months ago.  Clearly, I do not understand these principles in my life yet.

Satan is good at deceiving me.  He puts distractions in my way.  He leads me just a tiny bit off course and I completely lose my focus.  It's easy to blame Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.  With the click of a button I can see everything that everybody else has.  I see beautiful homes, perfect bodies, delicious home-cooked meals, incredibly fun moms and successful women all achieving much MORE than I could any day.  I stop paying attention to the beautiful details in my own life because I'm distracted by the seemingly perfect life of others.     

The reality is that my heart doesn't really want all those things.  Satan tries to make me believe that I do, but I really don't.  This quote by Marjorie Hinckley perfectly sums out how I want to live my life. 
“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.  I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”
This quote and other uplifting wisdom on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest are what keep me going back for MORE.  It's when I begin comparing my life to these inspiring people that takes me off course.  Teddy was right on when he said:
"Comparison is the thief of joy." -Theodore Roosevelt
 Here's to a new week of trying to stay humble, stay the course and focus on all the incredible blessings in my life!  How do you stay clear of pride and comparing yourself to others?  I need all the inspiring help I can get!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so honored to be acknowledged in your blog!! I always enjoy whatever topics you write about. They are always insightful. And some like your most recent make all of us ponder and look inward.
Thank You.
Your friend,
Chuck

Daily Jot & Tittle said...

As always, great article and good reminder! Thanks!